Friday, July 29, 2011

Thing 4 - Current Awareness #cpd23



Twitter
I've been using Twitter for quite some time now, I'd guess about 2 years. I find it really useful for picking up on what issues are being discussed in libraryland, finding out about must-read blog posts and getting advice and ideas from my professional network. It's also a great way to feel part of a community, as the discussion is not all work work work, and often I get involved in more personal discussions, or things which are just plain funny. I have seen the #libchat stuff appear in my twitter feed from time to time, but Wednesday's are not a good day for me to be doing extra-work-work so I haven't been involved in this. (Have now started following @nataliebinder though)




RSS
I use Google Reader for my RSS feeds but I don't look after it very well and I should really use it more, it's a great tool, but I often overlook it and rely on Twitter and other things to highlight good blog posts. I've just been through all my subscriptions as part of this Thing and tidied it up a bit, got rid of all the stuff I don't want to read any more and added in some stuff I have found since I last played with it, etc. I think I will start checking it more. One thing I have noticed though is that I don't seem to have the option to +1 items that appear in Google Reader, even though I can "like" them so people can see I like them through Google Reader.  I expected all these Google tools would link together. Am I missing something?.

Pushnote

I have to admit, I've never heard of it and I am not that interested in the concept. I use Delicious to keep a track of my book marks and I use twitter and stuff to find out what other people are reading. I don't think I need yet another social networking account to use up my time. Sorry - I haven't even registered.

8 comments:

Jo Alcock said...

Just to let you know there is #uklibchat that takes places every other Thursday evening - follow the hashtag for details.

With Google Reader I tend to share items rather than like them - so that others who subscribe to my shared items also get them. I also send them to Twitter using Reader2Twitter.

Katharine said...

Thanks for this Jo - I might look out for #libchat
Reader2twitter also sounds good. I haven't really used Google reader for sharing before, and I am getting a bit bogged down in having so many different accounts and services and things set up to do things all over the place - but I'll have a look at Reader2Twitter now and see what I think.

Katharine said...

Sorry Jo - Trying to set up reader2Twitter = have been given these 3 options:
Sync All Share
Only Sync Share with Note(Using "Share with note" or "Note in Reader" bookmarklet)
Only Sync Note(Using Reader to Tweet)

I don't know what they mean - can you advise at all?

Jo Alcock said...

Hi Katharine - I think they're just the different settings depending what you want to send to Twitter. So the first would be to share everything straight to Twitter, the second would only send if you "Share with note" not just regular share, and I imagine only share note would share your note for the item but no link to the article. Hope you got it sorted OK! :)

Fiona said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fiona said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katharine said...

Hi fiona. I removed your comments from here as I saw you had reposted them under the other entry. Thanks. Katharine.

Katharine said...

Hi fiona. I removed your comments from here as I saw you had reposted them under the other entry. Thanks. Katharine.