Friday, October 2, 2009

1st day in my new job

Yesterday was officially my first day as Enquiries Support Officer following the Warwick Library restructuring (I was previously the Information Assistant in the Science Subject Team).

The new post has quite a big remit, has potential for masses of development work, and sees me move from Academic Support into Client Services, so I have a brand new manager and a brand new set of team mates (new to me anyway - fortunately they have been in post a while, so I can ask them lots of questions while I'm finding my feet).

It is very sad to be leaving the Science Team. Helen, Sam and Charlotte have been fantastic to work with, and have accepted all my silliness as if it's almost normal (I even spotted Sam wearing my monkey head the other day - wish I'd had a camera). Of course the change of office won't stop me from sneaking back upstairs occasionally and defacing their team notice board - you've gotta keep people on the ball!

So yesterday I moved to my new desk, in the Customer Services office which is home to a range of Customer Services staff including the incredibly helpful Supervisors who have informed me of the only office rule (which I shamefully have already broken!)

"No fruit unless it's covered in chocolate!"

(My bag of apples has now been skillfully hidden amongst the magazine holders on my desk where I am storing various bits of project work - shhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone).

So I have all my work and training notes down here now, and my desk is starting to feel like mine, my PC has moved with me, so I wont have to download all my favourite bits of software again, and there is quite an impressive supply of biscuits :-)

Now that I've moved I need to get to grips with my new post - term starts on Monday and next week I'll be trying to get an overview of how enquiries are currently being received and referred so I can start investigating ways of offering additional support to front line staff and to students around the building.

I also need to complete the handovers of project work from my previous role to the people who will now be dealing with those areas, prepare for my new staff arriving, and start work to co-ordinate the library induction tours which will be up and running ASAP.

It is a time of big changes here, and it's a bit daunting, but things are starting to take shape, and I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into something new and different.

2 comments:

MlleLibrarian said...

Sounds so exciting! Very best of luck from the other side of the Warwickshire border...

Katharine said...

Thanks Lady - I hope all is going well for you in your new post too :)