Thursday, September 3, 2009

Tweet Week day 3 - so annoying I even annoyed myself!

So yesterday was day 2 of Tweet Week and I simply answered the question posed to millions of tweeters every time they log into their accounts - "What are you doing?" (I also responded to messages and sent out info for CILIP WM as I would normally do).

Here are the stats:
No. of tweets: 18 (that surprises me - it felt like a LOT more)
No. of replies: 9
No. of retweets: 0 (not surprising as I didnt say many useful things)
No. new (genuine) followers: 7
No. new spammers (now blocked): 3
No. of complaints: 1

Yes, that last one says COMPLAINTS. To be honest I was surprised there weren't more complaints, or at least hints that the content I was sending out to the world was a bit, well, rubbish and annoying. Twitter even annoyed me yesterday, not the reading of it or the constant pop-ups from Twhirl, but my own posts being so mundane and the constant feeling that I had to look at it every 10 minutes and try to find something to say.

What was strange was that I attracted 7 new followers and didn't seem to loose any existing ones (although it's hard to tell).

I know no one wants to hear about me checking my email (tweet number 5 of the day), and I don't want to hear about other people checking theirs, but this actually is the kind of content a lot of people are posting, so I figured I'd give it a go and see what happened - and what did happen? Well, nothing useful!

I got so annoyed with tweeting yesterday that I thought I might cancel Tweet Week after only 2 days and then there was an anonymous comment added to my first Tweet Week blog post (no, not the first comment that tells me to get on with some work - I know who that was - and it made me giggle - thanks P) which made me think perhaps Twitter can be good for productivity after all. The commenter talks about working in short intense bursts and then using Twitter as a bit of a break and change of pace to refocus the mind. Perhaps I'll give that a go today.

So what should I be posting?
Does anyone know?
Does anyone care? :-P

3 comments:

Jennie said...

I do it in burst when I interact, and skim without commenting other times.
When skimming, if I see an interesting statement / conversation, I'll join in, which often turns into a burst, as conversations roll from that.
See if anyone's having interesting discussions - they're public, so anyone can join in, though at first it can feel like you're pushing yourself into a clique (which isn't the reality)

audrey said...

Hello good day to you!

I’ve read your blog and find it very much interesting. Can you do me a favor? Can I ask you to post my link in your blogroll/sidebar? In return with that I’ll write an article for you which are related to your blog. In this way, we both can benefit since there would probably more visitors in your blog and mine as well. It would be my pleasure if you will accept my request. Thanks in advance!

Keyword: Study Languages
URL: http://www.study-languages.com

Best regards,
Audrey Morales

Katie said...

I'm very much of the 'tweet to please yourself' school. I think the followers you gain will vary depending on your tweeting style - you could end up with a completely different set of followers by tweeting in a completely different way, but as long as you're tweeting in the way you think is interesting, it's fine.

Another thought, and one I briefly mentioned on Twitter: I know someone commented that your posting frequency was too high for them. I think 'too high' is a really subjective idea. The frequency with which somone appears in your Twitter feed depends partly on how much they post, but also on how many people you're following. I'm aware I probably post too much for someone with 30ish followers (I'll appear fairly often in their feed) but when people post too infrequently (for the turnover of my Twitter feed) I don't really get a sense of who they are and what they're up to. I have a theory that this will automatically balance itself: people who find your posts too frequent will unfollow you (which isn't necessarily a sign that you've done something wrong as such) and you'll end up interacting with users at similar posting frequencies to you.

Sorry to ramble on: there's probably a blog post of my own developing here.