Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Google analytics

Having used Google Analytics to track various other blogs and web sites for quite a while now, I thought it would be pretty easy to set up this blog for analytics tracking. Not so!

It took me about half an hour to figure it out, and I thought I had better do it now, as I am meeting a colleague tomorrow to talk about blogs and was planning to offer assistance in helping him set up analytics on the Library blog he contributes to.

Oh well, the tracking code is now in place, so hopefully I will have some statistics tomorrow, although they probably wont show much.

For anyone who is not sure Google Analytics is a free service from Google which you can use to keep track of how many visitors are coming to your blog or web page, which countries they are based in and how they got to the site (direct link, google search, or whatever). Despite my personal incompetence it is actually quite easy to set up, and once you start getting the reports its is interesting and useful stuff.

3 comments:

Lilian said...

Hi Katherine,

No, alas, I haven't chartered yet, so you could put me down as chartering or as a librarian, I don't mind!

Well done on submitting!

Lilian

Lilian said...

Oops, I forgot to say, please list my chartership blog - http://charteringbookmouse.wordpress.com. Thanks!

Katharine said...

Thanks Lillian - consider yourself added!